It’s easier to expand than to fix…

I feel like everything I learn about coding is already a well-known software truism. But, I wanted to report in on my progress with the EFL worksheet software by saying that it’s moved back to the top of the priorities list and I’m working on it, but slowly.

There was a bug where the gap fill sentences created for capitalized vocabulary (‘Baltic Sea’ and ‘Vienna’ are examples) didn’t work correctly.

I immediately realized that the code put the entire sentence into lowercase (with Python’s .lower() method) before looking for the word. No problem, I thought, I’ll just find where the word is searched for and have it search for the lowercase text of the word. Problem solved.

I genuinely thought that was something I could do quickly, by way of getting back into the coding game…

More than an hour later, I found the spot where I forgot the extra .lower() call and everything was fixed. But I needed a full hour to figure out where in my code that happened.

A full hour.

I’m discouraged that I had such a hard time finding my way through my own code.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s