In what is material for another post, I recently decided to take another class in Django. And, in lesson two of Django for Everybody, I thought “I should start a project to practice on.”
That lead to me thinking it wouldn’t be all that much work to get a barebones version of Governors and Generals going. How hard could it be, right?
Turns out, it’s not super-hard–the literate programming preparation I did really helped–but it’s hard to know where to stop.
Enter the eldest son. He’s been looking over my shoulder as I do these things and I try to always have time to explain what’s going on. Some of his suggestions are our of my league (“there should be a 3D version to download”) but on suggestion changed the way I’ve been working: He said I should put a version number at the bottom.
So, I did. It was simply a matter of altering the footer template. And then I thought: “this could be a link to a changelog page that lists the stuff added. Then, I could look back to see the work I did.”
That was done pretty quickly.
Today is my third day of working on the project and I’ve found it to be quieting to finish the day’s portion of work by writing short, bullet-point entries about what I did that day. It’s nice to think “yeah, I got some stuff done.”
What’s more, starting at version 0.0.1 I’ve decided that version 0.0.2 will be reached when I’ve made something to put on PythonAnywhere and ask people to have a look at it. Initially, it’ll just be the framework on which the game mechanics will be built. Using that, I’ll start putting game mechanics together, though I expect there will only be intermittent days of intense coding after that. (At least until I start learning new stuff and updating the front end.)