I didn’t plan to add images to the worksheet generator, yet. I just wanted to wrap up the interface and include images on the list of things that would be included in a 2.0 update. After all, there are other things that are really pulling at my attention now.
I found out that I’ll be teaching a beginning English group soon, and I knew that something I wish I had available would be picture-based activities. After all, things like definitions and gapfill exercises require a certain level of English knowledge before they’re helpful. And, though I’m ready to push my students, that seemed unnecessary.
As it stood, the only thing the worksheet generator would have done for a beginning group is create translation matching exercises, and manage classroom vocab lists. (But even the vocab lists would include definitions that would be impossible for the students to read.
Pictures were the way to go, and they’d been planned, anyway…
It was a bit hurried
Fortunately for me, I’d been poking around in the code, slowly getting the interface and behavior to where I wanted it to be. That meant that I’d already had the days-long process of asking myself “how did I manage that?” and “why is this here?” behind me.
Adding images went surprisingly quickly, though I did run into trouble with PNG files that had a transparency set. (They printed as solid black in PDFs, no help at all.) The internet had a solution, of course, and I quickly changed the way images were uploaded to automatically account for that.
Later, I realized that I could have made the images behave more like other resources (each teacher could add his/her own, there could be regional ones) and I’d still like to do that, but I’m still moving forward. There have to be some features to implement the next time I visit this project.
So, I moved from adding pictures and making a memory into creating the exercises.
Formatting the picture matching exercises was a bit harder. They had to look good (to me) and be compact enough that they could be the first page of a multi-page worksheet without breaking across two pages in an awkward way. (Don’t you hate that?) And, of course, they couldn’t be too small or you wouldn’t be able to see what the images were.
Worksheet progression needed fixing
The way the whole thing is supposed to work, nothing comes onto the second page of a worksheet without having been on the first page of the previous worksheet. The whole idea is to ‘automate’ reviewing the vocabulary for the students, right?
But, some words just can’t be part of a picture-matching activity. What’s a good image for ‘name’ or ‘industrial?’ So, picture-matching activities have to exist outside the whole system of progression, which was doable (and skipping code is certainly easier than creating new code) but it required a certain degree of concentration.
It’s not finished, yet
I’m not using this code in ‘production,’ yet because of one simple thing: after adding a bunch of images to the system, my existing groups would suddenly have a lot of picture matching activities with vocabulary stretching back to September of last year. One review activity seems reasonable, but after that the activities have to feature relatively recent vocabulary.
The solution for that is to make a tool that will mark vocabulary as ‘finished’ with the picture matching activities. The idea is that I’d be able to go into a group’s settings, and say “mark all the vocabulary from before January of this year as finished” and the system wouldn’t use them in new worksheets.
It should be straightforward, but I haven’t found the time to do it, yet. I want to, before I put a last few finishing touches on the interface and then start soliciting beta users (again).
Wish me luck.